Technology in the School Journal and Connected
In this section you can find links to School Journal and Connected articles that feature technology content.
Each item includes a summary and discussion starters that link to the technology indicators of progression and where relevant the progress outcomes.
Examples of articles for each strand in the technology learning area
Here are some examples of stories and articles relating to the strands of the technology learning area.
Nature of technology
Characteristics of technology
- "Tupaia: Master Navigator", School Journal, Level 3, August 2019
- "Johnny Pohe and the Great Escape", School Journal, level 4, May 2019
Characteristics of technological outcomes
- “Fake Facts,” Connected, Level 4 – Seeing Beyond, November 2019
- "The Remarkable Reti", School Journal, Level 3, October 2015
- "The House that Dan Built", Connected, Level 2 - Wild Discoveries, November 2019
- “Square Eyes”, Connected, level 3, November 2018
- "The Plastic-free Challenge", School Journal, level 2, November 2018
- “South Pacific Beats”, Connected, level 3, November 2018
- "Bright Fine Gold", School Journal, level 3, May 2015
- "Lighting the Sky with Raspberry Pi", Connected, level 2, November 2018
In the technological practice strand the three components are interlinked closely. These journal article examples cover all three components: planning for practice, brief development, and outcome development and evaluation.
- "Wētā", School Journal, Level 2, August 2019
- "Animation Creations", Connected, level 2, November 2018
- “Whai (String games)”, Ready to read, level 1, September 2018
If you have a School Journal or Connected you are using in class, use the archive to search by publication date for articles in those issues that can be used for discussion in the technology learning area.
“Hine-o-te-Rangi: The Adventures of Jean Batten”, School Journal, level 3, November 2018
The story of Jean Batten and how she became the first woman to fly alone from England to New Zealand. ...
"The Plastic-free Challenge", School Journal, level 2, November 2018
Students at Motueka South School take action against plastic pollution.
"Tafoe", School Journal, level 2, November 2018
A group of Tokelau adults and children meet in Wellington every Sunday to pass on cultural knowledge.
"The War on Weeds", Connected, level 2, November 2018
Students at Kaniere School are helping scientists combat the spread of weeds with digital technologies.
"Under the Sea", Connected, level 4, November 2018
Students survey a rocky reef to discover and record the plants and animals that live there.
“Square Eyes”, Connected, level 3, November 2018
This story explores how digital technologies can alter our experiences without us knowing.
"Pen Pals", School Journal, level 2, September 2018
Students from Arataki School get to know residents at a retirement home by becoming their pen pals.
“Whai (String games)”, Ready to read, level 1, September 2018
Mahi teaches Hani how to make shapes with a piece of string. This story demonstrates the concept of tuakana–teina....
“Journey on the Sea”, School Journal, level 3, August 2018
Students at Titahi Bay intermediate school learn about water safety and how to sail an Optimist.
“Finding George”, School Journal, level 3, August 2018
Henrietta Bollinger tells the story of her great-great-uncle George, a soldier in the First World War.