News archive: January 2018
In this section you can find links to School Journal and Connected articles that feature technology content.
Each item includes a summary and discussion starters that link to the technology indicators of progression and where relevant the progress outcomes.
Examples of articles for each strand in the technology learning area
Here are some examples of stories and articles relating to the strands of the technology learning area.
Nature of technology
Characteristics of technology
- "Tupaia: Master Navigator", School Journal, Level 3, August 2019
- "Johnny Pohe and the Great Escape", School Journal, level 4, May 2019
Characteristics of technological outcomes
- “Fake Facts,” Connected, Level 4 – Seeing Beyond, November 2019
- "The Remarkable Reti", School Journal, Level 3, October 2015
- "The House that Dan Built", Connected, Level 2 - Wild Discoveries, November 2019
- “Square Eyes”, Connected, level 3, November 2018
- "The Plastic-free Challenge", School Journal, level 2, November 2018
- “South Pacific Beats”, Connected, level 3, November 2018
- "Bright Fine Gold", School Journal, level 3, May 2015
- "Lighting the Sky with Raspberry Pi", Connected, level 2, November 2018
In the technological practice strand the three components are interlinked closely. These journal article examples cover all three components: planning for practice, brief development, and outcome development and evaluation.
- "Wētā", School Journal, Level 2, August 2019
- "Animation Creations", Connected, level 2, November 2018
- “Whai (String games)”, Ready to read, level 1, September 2018
If you have a School Journal or Connected you are using in class, use the archive to search by publication date for articles in those issues that can be used for discussion in the technology learning area.
"Down the drain", Connected, level 2, January 2018
Petone school students investigate a litter issue.
“Space food”, Connected, level 2, January 2018
A group of students investigate how to stop food rotting on a journey to Mars.
“Gardening in the Living Room”, Connected, level 2, January 2018
Students find out how a greenhouse helps plants grow during the winter.
“Testing the waters”, Connected, level 3, January 2018
Find out what can be done to make our rivers cleaner and healthier for everyone.
“Building for the future”, Connected, level 3, January 2018
The Council of Matai work with an architect and scientist to rebuild Sa’anapu.
“Turning old into new”, Connected, level 4, January 2018
Find out about different ways that waste can be repurposed.
“Sensing Data”, Connected, level 4, January 2018
Find out how researchers used data to help make Christchurch a healthier city to live in.