Technology in the School Journal and Connected
In this section you can find links to School Journal and Connected articles that feature technology content.
Each item includes a summary and discussion starters that link to the technology indicators of progression and where relevant the progress outcomes.
Examples of articles for each strand in the technology learning area
Here are some examples of stories and articles relating to the strands of the technology learning area.
Nature of technology
Characteristics of technology
- "Tupaia: Master Navigator", School Journal, Level 3, August 2019
- "Johnny Pohe and the Great Escape", School Journal, level 4, May 2019
Characteristics of technological outcomes
- “Fake Facts,” Connected, Level 4 – Seeing Beyond, November 2019
- "The Remarkable Reti", School Journal, Level 3, October 2015
- "The House that Dan Built", Connected, Level 2 - Wild Discoveries, November 2019
- “Square Eyes”, Connected, level 3, November 2018
- "The Plastic-free Challenge", School Journal, level 2, November 2018
- “South Pacific Beats”, Connected, level 3, November 2018
- "Bright Fine Gold", School Journal, level 3, May 2015
- "Lighting the Sky with Raspberry Pi", Connected, level 2, November 2018
In the technological practice strand the three components are interlinked closely. These journal article examples cover all three components: planning for practice, brief development, and outcome development and evaluation.
- "Wētā", School Journal, Level 2, August 2019
- "Animation Creations", Connected, level 2, November 2018
- “Whai (String games)”, Ready to read, level 1, September 2018
If you have a School Journal or Connected you are using in class, use the archive to search by publication date for articles in those issues that can be used for discussion in the technology learning area.
"I Am Alice", Connected, level 2 – Show and Tell, December 2016
Alice is a tunnel boring machine used to build two tunnels in Auckland.
"Driving Us into the Future", Connected – Getting the Message, level 4, December 2016
Electric cars are often seen as the vehicles of the future – but are they?
"What now for the Rena?", Connected – Getting the Message, level 2, December 2016
What should happen to Rena ship that struck the Astrolabe Reef in Tauranga in 2011?
"Six Photos", School Journal, level 3, August 2016
Six photos taken in New Zealand in the nineteenth century let us "peek into history".
"Comic Man", School Journal, level 4, October 2015
A comic book artist describes the process he follows to turn an idea into a book.
"Making Radio Waves", School Journal, level 3, October 2015
At Lyall Bay School, years 5 and 6 students run a radio station.
"The Remarkable Reti", School Journal, Level 3, October 2015
A reti is a fishing device that Ngāti Pāhauwera use in the Mōhaka River.
"Boy on a Bike”, School Journal, level 3, May 2015
Mac Madsen wanted to raise money so that St John could buy more ambulances.
"Bright Fine Gold", School Journal, level 3, May 2015
The discovery of gold in New Zealand in the 1860s resulted in the growth of technology for mining.
"Just One Wheel", School Journal, level 2, May 2015
The students at Bombay School love unicycles!