News archive: November 2018
In this section you can find links to School Journal and Connected articles that feature technology content.
Each item includes a summary and discussion starters that link to the technology indicators of progression and where relevant the progress outcomes.
Examples of articles for each strand in the technology learning area
Here are some examples of stories and articles relating to the strands of the technology learning area.
Nature of technology
Characteristics of technology
- "Tupaia: Master Navigator", School Journal, Level 3, August 2019
- "Johnny Pohe and the Great Escape", School Journal, level 4, May 2019
Characteristics of technological outcomes
- “Fake Facts,” Connected, Level 4 – Seeing Beyond, November 2019
- "The Remarkable Reti", School Journal, Level 3, October 2015
- "The House that Dan Built", Connected, Level 2 - Wild Discoveries, November 2019
- “Square Eyes”, Connected, level 3, November 2018
- "The Plastic-free Challenge", School Journal, level 2, November 2018
- “South Pacific Beats”, Connected, level 3, November 2018
- "Bright Fine Gold", School Journal, level 3, May 2015
- "Lighting the Sky with Raspberry Pi", Connected, level 2, November 2018
In the technological practice strand the three components are interlinked closely. These journal article examples cover all three components: planning for practice, brief development, and outcome development and evaluation.
- "Wētā", School Journal, Level 2, August 2019
- "Animation Creations", Connected, level 2, November 2018
- “Whai (String games)”, Ready to read, level 1, September 2018
If you have a School Journal or Connected you are using in class, use the archive to search by publication date for articles in those issues that can be used for discussion in the technology learning area.
New ways that digital technologies are being used to tackle the world's problems.
A scientist collects mātauranga from iwi and hapū about plants and animals in Aotearoa.
An animator explains how to create your own stop-motion animation movie.
A Wellington designer has made a modern version of the Tongan lali.
An article on the development of artificial intelligence from a social and ethical perspective.
Students create a digital light display using Raspberry Pi.
Neil Silverwood, a photographer, describes his trip to Antarctica to document the set-up for a science project.
The story of Jean Batten and how she became the first woman to fly alone from England to New Zealand. ...
Students at Motueka South School take action against plastic pollution.
A group of Tokelau adults and children meet in Wellington every Sunday to pass on cultural knowledge.