Technology in the School Journal and Connected
In this section you can find links to School Journal and Connected articles that feature technology content.
Each item includes a summary and discussion starters that link to the technology indicators of progression and where relevant the progress outcomes.
Examples of articles for each strand in the technology learning area
Here are some examples of stories and articles relating to the strands of the technology learning area.
Nature of technology
Characteristics of technology
- "Tupaia: Master Navigator", School Journal, Level 3, August 2019
- "Johnny Pohe and the Great Escape", School Journal, level 4, May 2019
Characteristics of technological outcomes
- “Fake Facts,” Connected, Level 4 – Seeing Beyond, November 2019
- "The Remarkable Reti", School Journal, Level 3, October 2015
- "The House that Dan Built", Connected, Level 2 - Wild Discoveries, November 2019
- “Square Eyes”, Connected, level 3, November 2018
- "The Plastic-free Challenge", School Journal, level 2, November 2018
- “South Pacific Beats”, Connected, level 3, November 2018
- "Bright Fine Gold", School Journal, level 3, May 2015
- "Lighting the Sky with Raspberry Pi", Connected, level 2, November 2018
In the technological practice strand the three components are interlinked closely. These journal article examples cover all three components: planning for practice, brief development, and outcome development and evaluation.
- "Wētā", School Journal, Level 2, August 2019
- "Animation Creations", Connected, level 2, November 2018
- “Whai (String games)”, Ready to read, level 1, September 2018
If you have a School Journal or Connected you are using in class, use the archive to search by publication date for articles in those issues that can be used for discussion in the technology learning area.
Find out how researchers used data to help make Christchurch a healthier city to live in.
The appearance of the star Puanga in the eastern sky signals the start of the Māori New Year....
This historical story features a steamship in Queenstown.
This article explores a number of social issues and protests in New Zealand's history.
An unusual stone monument stands near the village of Niutōua in Tonga.
A student team make a wearable arts costume together, overcoming challenges on the way.
Possums threaten native forests and birds.
Read about how life jackets have been developed and how they protect people.
Mana Vautier talks about his career as an aerospace engineer and NASA employee.
Students find out how different types of energy can be used in their everyday lives.