"Down the drain", Connected, level 2, January 2018
10 January 2018
This article is about students at Wilford School in Petone who were shocked to discover the amount of rubbish finding its way onto their local beach. Find out how they investigated the issue by using traps to collect the rubbish entering the stormwater system.
You can find the article and the teaching notes here: Down the drain, Connected, level 2, January 2018
Other useful resources
Should we burn or bury waste plastic?
INTERVIEW: James Dyson on using his famous vacuum technology to suck garbage from rivers
These two news items explore further the end of life disposal of technological products and systems.
These could include:
- What are the physical attributes of the Litta Trap (™) For example what is its size, shape, colour, texture?
- What are the functional attributes of the Litta Trap (™) For example what does it do – grip, traps, stores, joins surfaces?
- What is the relationship between physical and functional attributes for the the Litta Trap (™)? For example the filter bag has a small enough mesh to catch most rubbish types.
- Technologists design products for a purpose. What is the purpose of the Litta Trap (™)?
- What is the environmental issue that lead to the development of the Litta Trap (™)?
Indicators of progression for discussion starters
|Characteristics of technology||
|Characteristics of technological outcomes||