"The Global Positioning System", Connected, Level 4 – Seeing Beyond, November 2019
14 November 2019
This article explains the Global Positioning System – a technology that we’ve quickly become dependent on. It explains how it works and its benefits, while also prompting students to think critically about the risks of over-reliance.
You can find the article and teaching notes here:
Other useful resources
GPS improvement: Funding will allow pinpoint accuracy: The New Zealand Government announced it will fund more advanced satellite technology, which will make GPS accurate to within one metre, down from the current 10 metres.
These could be class discussions with teacher guidance.
- Explore the different fields that GPS technology is used in such as farming, recreation, and security. How has the introduction of GPS technology to these fields changed people’s sensory perception?
- Discuss the short and long term impacts of the introduction and recent improvements in GPS to these fields.
- Select one of these fields and identify the creative and critical thinking that would be required to develop a GPS outcome.
- What knowledge and skills from technology and other disciplines would be needed to develop this GPS outcome?
- Where do you think that this technology is likely to go next?
Indicators of progression for discussion starters
|Characteristics of technology||