Technology Unit Planning: Cell Phone / iPod Holder Planning Unit: Overview
Duration: 8 sessions
Description of Context: Electronic holding devices
Key Focus: Transformation of Information/Energy/Material (Highlight)
Class Description/Students Past Experiences:
Year 8 students/one years experience in the Technology rooms, but with no experience in working with plastics. Beginning understandings of Technological Practice.
Key Focus: (Technological Practice)
- Outcome Development and Evaluation
- Brief Development
- Understanding of Technology Cycle
- Functional models
Key Focus: Context specific skill/knowledge:
- Experience in working with plastic.
- Sketching and rendering.
- Construction of MDF models
- Safe use of tools and equipment.
- Correct use of tools and equipment when working with plastic
Cell-phone holder final outcome
Predetermined Specific learning outcomes:
- Develop an understanding of Technological practice (CoT)
- Develop skills in working with plastics.
- Develop knowledge of plastic performance.
- Develop drawing accuracy techniques for working drawings.
- Identify a stakeholder and determine their needs/likes (BD)
- Develop specifications in keeping with identified needs. (BD)
- Undertake modelling as a form of testing and trialling. (ODE and TM)
- Apply knowledge and skills in the manufacture of a quality solution. (ODE)
- Observation of tool selection and use to produce an outcome.
- Discussion with students about knowledge of how to work materials to form products.
- Teacher checks through ongoing formative discussions with each student and marking of portfolios to ensure all students have: developed concepts, tested mock-ups, completed an outcome in given time, evaluated outcome against performance specs.
- Observation of cooperation between students.
- Using language symbols and text
- Managing self
- Relating to others
- Participating and contributing
- Key stakeholder values
- Maths – measuring
- Problem solving
- English – evaluative skills
Learning Environment Considerations
Safety Issues (Refer to MOE Revised Health & Safety Guidelines.)
- Safe use of hand tools
- Use of scroll saws
- 3mm Acrylic, card, masking tape, coping saws, scroll saws, files, sand paper.
Student model and final outcome