"Just One Wheel", School Journal, level 2, May 2015
09 June 2015
Mr Rob, the caretaker, bought some unicycles for the school after seeing how much his grandchildren loved them. There are different unicycles that have attributes for different purposes. Staying on the unicycle is just the start. Once you can do that, there are the tricks to master.
You can find a PDF version of this article, the teacher support materials, and the audio files on Literacy Online: "Just one wheel".
Other useful resources
The students know which tricks they want to learn because they saw the experts in action. Sam La Hood and Chris Huriwai, world champion unicycle riders, visited the school and taught the students more about unicycling. Unicycling is often part of circus acts.
- 2012 World unicycling champions: Christian Huriwai and Sam LaHood
- Stars of Beijing's Circus - Bowls Unicycle act - The world greatest Cabaret
- Characteristics of technology: Use this and other examples to illustrate when technology has had a positive impact on society and/or the environment (level 2).
- Technological products: Use this and other examples to suggest why the materials used in particular technological products were selected (level 2).
- Brief development: Use this and other examples to guide students to discuss the implications of the need or opportunity and the conceptual statements and support them to establish a list of attributes an appropriate outcome could have (level 2).