Technology in Action books
Deidre identified a lack of resources as one of the difficulties for schools trying to implement the curriculum. Her Technology in Action books are designed to support teachers in understanding and delivering the Technological Practice strand.
The books link directly to the Technological Practice strand of the Technology curriculum. They are designed to support teachers working at Levels 2-4 although Book 2 extends upwards and would be useful at Level 5 as well.
Author Deidre Senior, Deputy Principal and TIC Technology at Oamaru Intermediate School, led the implementation of the Technology Curriculum (2007) in her school. With help from National Technology Professional Development Facilitator Cheryl Pym, the Technology team did some intensive work in examining the curriculum and made some major changes to their programme as a consequence.
During this process Deidre identified a lack of resources as one of the difficulties for schools trying to implement the curriculum. Her Technology in Action books are designed to support teachers in understanding and delivering the Technological Practice strand.
Book 1: Developing understanding of technological practice contains notes, worksheets and support activities and looks at specific learning outcomes in teaching the Components of the Technological Practice strand. Some of the sections are:
- Brief Development – attributes, my intended outcome, fit for purpose, conceptual statements
- Planning for Practice – key stages, getting myself organised, planning timeline
- Outcome Development and Evaluation – possibilities and probabilities, functional modelling, testing performance properties, reflecting.
Book 2: Tips for effective teaching in technology also contains discussion points, support activities and worksheets based on technological practice with a focus on meeting the challenges of teaching Technology and how to do so effectively. It includes:
- Successful classroom management and teaching strategies
- Using ICT to enhance learning in Technology – classroom blog, digital storytelling, websites, videos
- Thinking tools for success – self/peer assessment, reflective questions, PMI, thinking strategies
- Cooperative learning for success – think-pair-share, decision-making matrix
Ease of use
The books are well laid out and easy to use. The worksheets, designed to be photocopied for class use, are set out so that students can clearly see what is expected of them.
These books are a great resource for Technology teachers with students working towards Level 2-4 and beyond, and might be used in primary, intermediate, or junior secondary classrooms.
The Technology in Action books can be purchased from specialist education bookstores or directly from the publisher Essential Resources. They are available in print and electronic format for $44.95 or as a combined set for $54.95.